martedì 24 giugno 2014

An author, a fish, a dissertation


The most difficult English words for me to pronounce are: 
AUTHOR(S), WRITER, CHILDREN'S WRITER, LITERATURE.
When I started to study at a British university, I thought this must be a sort of sign. "You wanna try and write something in English, to fit into a British environment? Oh, well, Manuela, don't make me laugh, you can't even pronounce the words to describe your job."
Or maybe they're so difficult because I need to say them quite a lot. During group presentations, for example. In England every course starts with a presentation from each student, like in a support group. Hello, I'm Manuela, I'm a children's writer (chil- pronounced like chill, -er mumbled like clearing my throat) I haven't been writing children's stories for ten months now.

I started the MA at Roehampton in September 2013. Ten months ago.
It's been great to study children's literature for the first time. In Italy we don't have anything that could be compared to the NCRCL and actually studying in a foreign country is much more challenging because you can't be the clever (?) person you are in your real (?) life. You need to choose your words carefully and most of the time you end up looking like a fish. A lot of gasping to say nothing.
It's an experience that changes you forever.

In August 2014 I'll be handing in my dissertation. 
I have chosen to research censorship in Western children's publishing and to write a YA novella about underage prostitution, the grooming of girls and self-destructive love (and sex). I'll be sharing my progress in this blog, and I'll tell you what: I've already written, and published, a novel about prostitution, the grooming of girls and self-destructive love, but nobody cares. Apparently in Italy the gatekeepers don't like to talk about sex with children. After all, we're a virtuous country where politicians would never ever have sex with underage girls, for example.
So in this blog you will find my story, my research, some reflections about being a professional children's writer from a country in decline, and much more. Hope you'll enjoy it!





2 commenti:

  1. Go Manuela! Can't wait to hear the rest!

    RispondiElimina
  2. "A lot of gasping to say nothing"...This is the picture of my social life here!
    Well done Manuela,
    I wish you the best for your blog

    RispondiElimina